Monday, February 7, 2011

The Life of Pi, by Yann Martel

Not everyone in the club loved this book as much as I did, but it sure sparked some really good conversation. This was definitely one of my favorites.

To some of my book club friends, this novel started out slow, but I enjoyed learning about this boy's interest in all religions, about his father's zoo-keeping, and about the differences between the two and three-toed sloths. All of this prelude is so crucial, in my opinion, to the metaphorical significance of the rest of the story, which, once you get to, is amazingly compelling.

I loved this book and highly recommend it. I think this novel is an expression of something Joseph Campbell once said in one of his books, about metaphor being the penultimate truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment